For those who don’t know, espetos de sardinas are fresh sardines, seasoned with sea salt, skewered on sugar cane or bamboo spears and then barbequed over olive wood. Usually served just with locally grown lemon, along with freshly baked bread with olive oil, they are absolutely superb at this time of year. Simply the best lunch possible sat on the beach, and as an oily fish, sardines are highly recommended as being good for you. Other sea food can also be prepared and cooked this way – most common is sardines, but langostines / gambas and occasionally octopus (pulpo) are also prepared like this.
The promotional week runs from Monday 26th to Friday 30th, just €5 will get you not only the espeto, but a beer, tinto verano, soft drink or water as well.
The 16 participating restaurants are:
- Playa Cantarriján: La Barraca.
- Playa La Herradura: Chambao Vicente, Chiringuito Bueno, La Sardina, Bambú, Rebalaje y Chambao Joaquín.
- Playa San Cristóbal: Chiringuito Dorada de Plata, Pepe Dígame, Vizcaya y Calabré.
- Playa Velilla: Chiringuito Primera Ola, C´a Mariano y Playamar
- Playa El Pozuelo: Chiringuito Balate y restaurante Viña del Mar