From our base in Almuñécar it’s only just over an hours drive from the main skiing slopes of Sol y Nieve in the Sierra Nevada. Here we offer skiing and snow boarding in the winter season (approx. 01 Dec – 30 Apr). The resort is based around the village of Pradollano (2100m), and is the most southerly ski resort in Europe. Slopes range from a high spot of around 3350m (Veleta peak 3.398m) to a lower limit of around the 2000m mark.
Typical skiing day in Sierra Nevada
From our base here in Almuñécar we adopt a “hit & run” philosophy, checking the conditions, web cams and snow reports for Sierra Nevada in advance. We then flex the days we go up to get the best of the conditions, while avoiding the weekend queues & traffic.
There are around 120 marked pistes with a total of approx. 107 km of groomed piste, the longest being El Aguila at 6.25km, supported by over 350 snow cannons There are 19 green, 41 blue, 50 red and 8 blacks, served by a good network of 2 main gondolas, 14 detachable chairlifts, 6 fixed chairlifts, a ski lift and 4 conveyor lifts with a total capacity of 45,207 skiers per hour. 21 lifts – click for piste map as well as an excellent snow park with a variety of jumps, rails, a 165m half pipe for all abilities, as well as timed video slalom course.
For non skiers it is still a great day out, as you can take the lifts to the mid station to enjoy the views, as well as enjoying the village with its bars & shops, though we recommend you at least try a pair of “big feet” to get a taste of the snow.. And, yes – it is possible to ski in the morning and to sun bathe on the beach in the afternoon!
All our activities are conducted under the SARS-Covid safety and working practices regime published by the Ministry of Industry & Commerce and Tourism.
Any additional safety precautions &/or restrictions due to Covid19 applicable to the safe undertaking of this activity can be seen at Covid19 – Activity Safety.
- Return transfer Almunecar – Sierra Nevada (usually 07:45 – 18:00 approx)
- One day ski pass
- Standard range Skis & Poles / Snow Board
- Boot hire
- Ski Pants hire
- Transfer time: 90 mins each way transfer to location
- Actual activity duration: 7 – 8 hrs (approx.)
- Min 2px unless by prior arrangement
- Ski pants hire included subject to availability – We recommend you “beg borrow or steal” a pair from friends. You will also need either a ski jacket, or a wind proof jacket / shell with fleece, goggles / sun glasses & a pair of gloves. Sierra Nevada is (usually) a relatively warm resort despite it’s altitude.
- Tuition available (local charge)
- Local charges apply for ski insurance (if rqd)
- Min age: Suitable for all.
- In the event of inclement conditions for all week an alternative or full refund will be offered